Monday, March 15, 2010

Disney and it's diversity (or lack of it)

Over the years I have watched many Disney movies and I'm sure you have too. It's one of those things that everyone experiences in some way or another. Through the Disney movies, Disney radio, Disney music, Disney world, Disney land, or even Disney's very own t.v. channel. It's out there and you can find it almost everywhere.
So as a child I watched and listened to everything Disney, but failed to notice something of much importance. I was young and naive and just wanted to enjoy my movie. But now looking back and watching those movies years later I realized something. That something was that Disney movies of very little diversity and that they are slightly racist.
When this clicked in my mind I realized that there was a very real chance that my favorite movies of all time might be racist. I made an immediate decision to investigate whether or not it was a coincidence that majority of Disney films featured only white people.
So with that I begin the research that will determine if those movies that I have grown to love have an underlying message that cannot be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment